I wanted to make some holiday ice cream, but couldn’t decide between eggnog or peppermint. Okay, that’s a lie. I wanted eggnog ice cream and just happened to have Peppermint Schnapps and thought, “Oh what the heck, why not throw that in too?” I’m really glad I did, the little bit of peppermint adds a lot flavor wise and helps the ice cream from developing ice crystals. Win win.
For this ice cream, I used Trader Joe’s gingersnap cookies but you can use any kind you’d like! Gonna keep this post short and sweet, but bottom line, make this ice cream! It’s basically the holidays in a bowl.
Eggnog & Peppermint Ice Cream with Ginger Cookies
3 cups eggnog (I used light)
1 cup half and half
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. brown sugar
1large tbs. Peppermint Schnapps
1 cup roughly chopped ginger cookies
1. In a saucepan add eggnog, half and half and whisk to combine. Turn heat on medium. Add spices and vanilla. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. In a stand mixer, whisk egg yolks and sugar until the egg yolks have lightened slightly in color and become creamy. Slowly add eggnog mixture to egg yolks, whisking frequently.
3. Return to saucepan, and stir over medium-low heat until mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and place in an airtight container. Place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight until thoroughly cooled.
4. Once completely cool (I like mine to be pretty cold) stir in Peppermint Schnapps. Place mixture in your ice cream mixture until the texture of soft serve,
5. In a container, place about 1/3 of the ice cream and layer cookies on top. Top this with more ice cream, and then more cookies until the ice cream and cookies are used up. Place in the freezer for several hours or overnight until the mixture has hardened up.