Cookies and cream is probably one of my favorite ice cream flavors. Soft cookies in vanilla ice cream? Uh, yes please. Oh, a little off topic, but can we all just agree that stale, soft Oreo’s are way better than fresh? Cool.
The problem I sometimes have with cookies and cream is some ice cream companies like to skimp on the cookies. I want lots of cookies in every bite, gosh dangit! Being able to make ice cream with loads of cookies in every bite is reason enough to buy an ice cream maker, if you ask me. Also, having an ice cream maker allows you to enjoy Nutella ice cream. I will wait here while you go to Amazon and purchase one.
Of course if lots of cookies isn’t your thing, you don’t have to add as many. So much freedom! I didn’t count how many I put in, but I would say it was somewhere around 13. I just kept adding the cookies into the ice cream maker until it felt right. I also chose to scrape put the frosting, but if you want to leave it in I’m sure that would be yummy too.
Nutella Cookie Ice Cream (recipe heavily adapted from Food Network)
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs yolk
1/2 cup Nutella
Oreo cookies, filling removed and roughly chopped (I used approximately 13 cookies)
1. In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream and 1/4 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves.
2. Meanwhile in in a bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs become thick and pale yellow. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan with remaining milk and sugar mixture.
3. Cook over very low heat stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to ten minutes)
4. Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in Nutella and whisk until it dissolves. Place mixture in the fridge and chill completely (I recommend overnight).
5. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and once it’s the texture of soft serve, add Oreo cookies. Place in an airtight container and freeze until firm. Enjoy!