On Sunday, Tommy and I almost ate the entire thing…it was that good. The sweet potato + bacon + pesto combination is crazy delicious; it’s slightly sweet, salty, and creamy. Then throw in some crunchy walnuts, onions, and spicy arugula? Yep, eating the whole pizza.
Keep in mind, the great thing about pizza is you can add as much, or as little of each ingredient as you want! Below are the amounts I used, but if you love bacon, pile it on! Hate chicken? Don’t use it. Need more cheese? Cheese that pizza up!
Sweet Potato, Bacon, Arugula and Pesto Pizza
2 cups Sweet Potato, cubed and roasted until soft
3/4 cups Pesto
1 cup Bacon, cooked and chopped
1 cup Chicken, cooked and sliced/shredded (I used shredded rotisserie chicken)
1/2 medium Onion, sliced
1/2 cup Walnuts, crushed
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
Pizza Dough (recipe below)
Dry Yeast, 1 packet (.25 oz)
1/4 tsp Sugar
1 cup Warm Water
2 cups Multipurpose Flour (plus extra to knead/roll)
1/2 tsp Salt
1. In a small bowl, add sugar and dry yeast. Add warm water, and stir slightly. Let set for about 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour and salt. Add yeast mixture, and mix until it is ready to knead.
3. Dust your working surface with flour, and knead dough for 1-2 minutes. Cover with more flour if dough becomes sticky. Roll out dough to fit onto a 18×13 cookie sheet. Transfer dough onto cookie sheet, and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Once your dough is ready, assemble the pizza!
1. Gently spread the pesto onto pizza dough working it out towards the edges. I found that using my hands for this step worked best!
2. Add sweet potatoes, onion slices, bacon, chicken and walnuts. Cover with cheese. Place into the 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the cheese is bubbly. At this point, I like to turn my broiler on for a few moments, but that’s up to you 🙂
3. Remove from oven, and place arugula on top. Add enough to cover the pizza, but not overwhelm. Let cool for several minutes, then cut and enjoy!