VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- 1 pound green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut in half. You can use canned or frozen.
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or avocado oil
- 1 shallot, Cone #2
- 2 cloves garlic, Cone #1
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms Cone #4 (button, baby bella, or cremini)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour gf
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plain nut milk
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions (I love Trader’s Brand – check ingredients to ensure vegan friendly), divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add Green Beans to 3 or 4 Qt pan with a couple tablespoons water. Medium, Click, to Low. Cook 10 to 15 mins.Set aside.
- In a small saucepan add butter or oil, shallots, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add mushrooms and season with a bit more salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir to coat the mushrooms. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly whisk in veggie stock, to incorporate.
- Add nut milk next and whisk . Season to taste & bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low to thicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes more, or until thick and bubbly. Season as needed.
- Remove mushroom mixture from heat and add 1/2 cup of the fried onions to mixture. Add mixture and cooked green beans to 9 X 13 Bake & Roast Pan. Or use the electric skillet. Toss to coat well, and top with remaining fried onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbly and slightly browned on top